Minutes of AGM, 3rd December 1999

Discussion of ground matters (Terry Monnington present)

  1. There was reluctant support, though no actual resolution at the meeting, for Terry Monnington’s idea of putting an up-front charge on all students and staff for the use of indoor sports facilities. The purpose of this would be to forestall what would be likely to be a more extensive and possibly draconian charging proposal from the university. The amounts Terry mentioned were £25/year for students and £50/year for staff.
  2. This could affect the Staff and Graduate Cricket Club through the provision of indoor nets. However, it was proposed and agreed that there was a distinction between team and individual activities. Team activities were positively to be encouraged as beneficial to the university (no moral judgment as to the relative value to the individual was made) and no charge would be made for the use of indoor facilities when the booking was made through a team.
  3. There was no proposal from anywhere to charge for the use of outdoor sporting facilities.
  4. It was proposed that the second square and outfield should have additional drainage work done on it starting in March 2000. The field would be unavailable for cricket until July/August. This would cause pitch-finding difficulties. To overcome these, the second cricket pitch on Central Campus would be made available.
  5. The students have priority during termtime but the Staff and Graduate Cricket Club have priority at all other times. For the very occasional termtime weekend match, and for most termtime home Wednesday evening matches, the Staff and Graduate Club would use the second pitch on Central Campus in the year 2000. Work was already being done on the wicket and it would be in good condition before the start of the cricket season.
  6. The snack bar in the Sports Centre would be made available for teas when the Central Campus pitch was used for afternoon matches.
  7. Outside termtime, the Staff and Graduate Cricket Club would be able to use the new Roadside cricket pitch. The remedial drainage work had already been carried out on this and it was already plain that the work had been done to a high standard.
  8. A mini-pavilion for the second new cricket pitch was urgently needed. Conditions were highly unpleasant for the batting side not on the field, and kit was wide open to burglary. It had been hoped to build this as part of a tractor store but the store was not to be built in that area.
  9. Other demands for funds made it unlikely that the university would be able to provide the mini-pavilion in 2000. Robert Pettifer confirmed that the Buildings Committee had given a favourable reception to the proposal of a second mini-pavilion. It was resolved that concerted efforts would be made to have the mini-pavilion in place for the start of the 2001 season.
  10. The road to the second new pitch would be improved.
  11. The use of cars to get down to the new pitch was discussed. Terry explained that the problem was that the students would then want to take their cars down also. This could be overcome by the use of a key to the barrier at the top of the road; this key would be given only to those clubs that were allowed to take cars down. No resolution was made by the meeting, but there was a very strong feeling that players should be able to take some cars down, especially out of term.
  12. The new nets were not yet good enough for constructive cricket practice. Club members who used them regularly would explain the shortcomings and work would be done in the early spring to bring them to a good standard before the new season starts in April.
  13. A heartfelt vote of thanks to Terry Monnington, to the ground staff and to the pavilion staff was offered by the entire club. A tremendous amount of work had already been done in difficult circumstances and working relationships were at last cordial. It was agreed that thanks should be given particularly to certain individuals, namely Keith Kelly, Mark Pritchard and Roy Hunter.
  14. Other matters

  15. The minutes of the 1998 AGM were accepted.
  16. The chairman’s and captain’s reports were considered and accepted amidst an atmosphere of satisfaction for a good season that bordered on conceit.
  17. Player of the year – Steve Lamb, with acclamation.
  18. Officers for 2000 season – as in 1999 except that Mark Smith would take over as Wednesday league captain, and that Richard Dobedoe would hand over teas organising duties to another to be found by the chairman.
  19. Thanks and appreciation for their hard work were offered to the Club’s 1999 officers. In particular, Rob Burns was thanked for a second long spell as Wednesday league captain.
  20. Team selection turned out to be easier than expected after the critical difficulties of the 1998 season, which was a relief. There were occasional shortages of players, relieved by the availability of now grown-up sons later in the season. There wre possibilities of exchanging players with the library team and with Ettington C.C.
  21. Sunday teams were less strong than they used to be, occasionally embarrassingly so. Selection problems would be eased if some regular players would make themselves available to play more regularly on Sundays. We needed six regular players as a minimum to ensure that we were competitive.
  22. The following selection principles were adopted:
    1. Saturday league teams should be selected on merit with the aim of winning the league.
    2. Other teams should be selected according to the traditional mix of criteria and in the interests of the club as a whole.
    3. Teams should be selected in concert between captains and chairman.
    4. Teams should be announced more than one week in advance via email. Hard copy would be given under protest only to the underprivileged.
    5. Teams should be selected from those club members who have announced their availability for a particular fixture by a specified date.
    6. Nobody should be replaced in a team after announcement except on his own initiative.
  1. Steve Lamb, as Saturday captain, would work within these principles. Robert Pettifer as Sunday captain noted that there would be some Sunday difficulties, and would consult particularly on those occasions when there were too many available players.
  2. The Wednesday league side had not been strong enough to compete on equal terms in a league which had become very strong, except when all the strongest players were available. The early part of the season was the most difficult. Mark Smith had agreed to take the side over on the basis that it was worth continuing with this league provided that we put out competitive sides. All players were asked to make every effort to make themselves available for selection. The decision to continue would be reviewed annually: the alternative, weaker, leagues were not attractive either technically or aesthetically.
  3. Lincoln Allison would continue to organise the teams selected for matches on other days. These matches had been much affected by weather in 1999. The fixture against Stride’s XI would be moved to the third week in August.
  4. Recruitment. The recruitment efforts made twelve months before had produced only very few players. Student liaison had been helpful earlier in the season. Alumni had not been useful. Nevertheless we would try all the recruitment methods again.
  5. Chris Stride volunteered to set up a club web site. The Graduate Association also had a web site and we would ensure that we were represented on that too. (Note from minute taker – would Chris please circulate the address when the site is up and running? Also may we have a chat room on it? Also a section for announcement of team selections?)
  6. Publicity. Lincoln Allison would write a piece for the University Newsletter, emphasising the benefits of liaison with the local community and the favourable publicity obtained from our league win and our long tour relationships.
  7. We would send copies of our fixture list to the Leamington Courier and the Coventry Evening Telegraph.
  8. Fixtures. Chris Cooper circulated an already largely complete fixture list for 2000. Easter was very late in 2000 and it was agreed that we would not start the season until the weekend of April 29/30. We would finish on September 16/17. The general decision to move all fixtures forward one week in 2000 would mean that the Barnt Green fixture would move into the Welsh tour, and an effort would be made to save this fixture by moving it to another weekend.
  9. Financial Report. The treasurer produced an exemplary financial report, both as to presentation – written and verbal – and as to content. With £846 in the bank, and an excess of income over expenditure of £332 at the account date, it was evident that the club’s finances were in a healthy state. Tim Naylor’s efficiency in collecting weekly net payments was important in this, and he agreed to repeat the performance in 2000.
  10. Subscription levels were to be unchanged, £30 for the employed with concessions for students, the unwaged, OAPs and disabled.
  11. No resolutions about equipment were made. It was noted that more members brought their own kit with them. There was an assumption that the kit would be examined at the winter nets, and serious shortcomings would then be remedied. The usual arrangements for obtaining balls would be repeated.
  12. Welsh Tour. The 25th tour was imminent. Alan Lovell would produce a full record of our Welsh adventures as a commemmoration of the 25 years, including personal reminiscences if sufficiently entertaining. It was resolved to arrange a dinner on the Friday night of the 2000 tour; Mark Smith would investigate this.
  13. It was increasingly clear that the average age of the tour party was too high, rising as it had done by approximately one year every year for the last quarter century. The 2000 tour would party would be selected on traditional lines, but real effort would be made in subsequent years to encourage younger players to go on tour.
  14. The Llanidloes fixture was of particularly long standing and their club had made great efforts to host us over the years. It was suggested that we should buy a clock for the Llanidloes pavilion as a gesture of thanks. No resolution was made, nor did anybody undertake to investigate the purchase of a clock.
  15. Thanks to Steve Lamb for organising the tour yet once more.
  16. Willoughby League. Various matters had been brought back for consultation from the league meeting. The proposed 10 point penalty for no show was agreed, as were the league’s umpiring proposals (each team to provide one umpire, if only one then he to stand at the bowling end throughout if agreeable, any other arrangement to be agreed before the match and then adhered to throughout). The idea of trying to play matches away rather than cancelling when pitches were unfit was accepted, as was the general encouragement to turn up and start on time.
  17. It was not accepted that the winning bonus should be smaller for teams which decided to bat second, and it was not accepted that the toss should be abolished and the choice given to the away side.
  18. There was a 7-5 vote in favour of using a new ball for each innings, despite a cry of pain from the treasurer. This vote split on party lines: opening batsmen and spin bowlers against, the rest for.
  19. The annual league dinner would probably be held on the last Friday in January. As winners, we should make a serious attempt to turn up in force and it was agreed that as many as possible should attend.
  20. A suggestion was made that there should be a permanent record of our league win in the pavilion. Steve Lamb and Alan Lovell would investigate.
  21. Winter Nets. These would be held on Friday evenings from 5.45-6.45p.m. at the same venue as last year, Barr’s Hill School. Doors would open at 5.30p.m. and players were asked to make an effort to turn up at the earlier time to set up, otherwise we did not get our allotted full hour of cricket. Alan Lovell would coach and organise as ever, - much appreciated.
  22. The cost would be £22.26 per session. The individual charge would be £2.00 with concessions for the halt and the lame.
  23. Adjourned for a celebratory curry at 9.15p.m.